Halloween Spooky Spool Wraps In the Hoop
Cover wooden spools with these quick and clever little Spooky wraps. Frankenspool and his Ghoulish Spool wraps are the perfect Halloween decoration when time is limited!
Let me show you how fast and easy they are to create. For this example let’s use the Spooky Kitty. All of the Halloween Spooky Spool Covers are created with the same basic steps. Grab your copy of the Spooky Spools Here.
Scroll to the bottom to watch the How to Video.
Here are the supplies you will need:
- (2) 6″x4″ pieces of cotton Front/Back
- (1) 6″x4″ piece of Paper back fusible web (we used Heat n Bond light)
- (1) piece of tear away stabilizer to fit hoop (we used Totally Stable due to its light weight properties)
- (1) Wooden Spool – 2-1/8″ tall x 1-1/2″ wide, here
- Thread – Embroidery thread – I used Aurifil 50 weight thread
- 60 weight bobbin thread or pre-wound bobbins
- Craft scissors – I used Kai 5135 5-1/2″ embroidery scissors
- Iron and pressing station – I use the Oliso professional
- Clear tape – I used Scotch tape
- Embroidery needles – I used Schmetz 75/11
- Glue – I used E6000 and loved the little packs
- 4″x4″ or larger hoop
- Piece of paper for the work surface
Basic steps on how to make:
(For complete instructions get the Halloween Spooky Spool Wraps here)
Fuse the paper back fusible web to the wrong side of the Front. Once the paper cools down, remove it.
Fuse the wrong side of the Front to the wrong side of the back.
Hoop the stabilizer. Center the Front right side up and tape along top and bottom edge to secure in place.
Thread machine for stitch #1 which is the outline stitch. Match the fabric or use a contrasting thread color.
Sew all the details. In the case of the kitty: Eyes, eye centers, nose, and whiskers.
Remove hoop from machine. Remove tape and tear away stabilizer.
Cut 1/8″ along top and bottom stitch. Trim up sides.
Use glue to secure the wrap to the spool. Use paper under project to protect work space. *Note: Be sure to use glue in well ventilated area.
You are done!! Now whip up all the Spooky Spools for your Halloween decorations!