For a very, very, VERY long time I’ve been asked by my biggest fans to design some key fobs! I kept wondering what the fascination with a “key fob” was. Well, now I get it! They literally are exactly what my “tag line is”. They are fast, fun and adorable. Today I am pleased to introduce you to my very first In the Hoop Key fob, the Snowflake.
In the Hoop Key Fobs
There are two different styles of key fobs and they are sold as a set:
- Snap Tabs (has two snaps which wrap around the key ring- lobster hook optional)
- Eyelet (single eyelet punched for key ring to slide into – lobster hook optional)
Watch the video
Tools and Materials
The basic tools and materials you need are:
- Rotary cutter
- Rotary mat
- Sharp scissors
- Embroidery needles 75/11 or
- Top Stitch 80/12
- Embroidery hoop to fit design
- Embroidery thread
- 60 weight bobbin thread
- Clear tape
- Snap setting tool
- Snap setting stand
- Eyelet setting tools
- Tear away stabilizer
- Front and back piece of non-woven material: used in Snowflake
- Depending on the type of key fob:
How to make
These key fobs really do stitch up fast! Basically
1. Hoop tear away stabilizer and sew the placement stitch.
2. Sew all the design details. In the case of the snowflake that is the snowflake and blue dots.
3. Add the back with clear tape. Notice I extend the tape to the plastic of the hoop. This helps the material from not slipping while stitching.
4. Sew the final outline stitch with matching thread in top and bobbin. Cut around the outside stitching – careful not to cut the stitching.
5. Attach the eyelet or snaps.
6. Add key ring and optional lobster hook.
What is next?
I want to do more of these! In the comments below, tell me what Key Fobs you’d like to see?
This post contains affiliate links. In plain English, this means I may receive a small commission (at no cost to you) if you subscribe or purchase something through the links provided. You will never see me post a link to a product or service I haven’t used myself and love! (learn more here)
IF YOU ENJOYED THIS PLEASE FOLLOW ME ON MY OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORMS:
Be sure you are following me on all my social media platforms, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, YouTube –> OH, join my Fan Club on Facebook too! Click the links below and subscribe/follow/join.